February 26, 2009

Cheddar Chowder

A new {old} recipe from my family cookbook . . . This one is my mother's, a fantastic cook. I was raised on this stuff, and it really is better the second day.

Cheddar Chowder

2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. carrot slices
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. flour
8 oz. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 c. chopped potatoes {I like new potatoes}
1/2 c. celery slices
4 T butter
2 c. milk
1 c. chopped ham

Add boiling water to potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 10 minutes {do not drain}. Make white sauce with butter, flour and milk. When thickened, add cheese and stir until melted. Add ham and {undrained} vegetables. Heat thoroughly. Better the second day.

My favorite part is the little note penned by my mom, which says "A Good Sunday Night Supper" . . . We always ate breakfast and dinner together, a rule my own family now follows.

"That my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God I will give you thanks forever." Psalm 30:12


Amanda

1 comment:

 
Blog Templates By Penny Lane Designs