September 17, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Well, we're still here. But not in The Woodlands. Nope, I think Benjamin and I could have survived living on dry goods and sweating it out sans air conditioner . . . But Cameron, she's an indoor girl. So, it goes a little something like this:

Stay put for the storm. Prep, prep, prep. Hunker down!! Wonder for a good twenty four hours why we decided to stay put. Hunker down some more.

Survive our first official hurricane. Otherwise known as Ike. We made the most of it, had a picnic, some Hurricane Ike birthday cake, and spent countless hours on the bathroom floor playing with Play-Doh. Then it started to get hot. Really hot. And weird spiders and bugs (oh, and lizards, too) started moving in . . .

So, we evacuated. To Dallas. Aunt Linda and Uncle Bobby took us in, so graciously, and we ate wonderful food and enjoyed all of the modern conveniences we have come to love. Mainly air conditioning.

And now we (the kids and I) are in Midland. A landing spot. A home away from home. I've never been so happy to sit at a laptop and just type. The A/C is cranked down, the kids are sleeping away in their little beds, and I've just downed a bunch of M&M's and an Izze. Not too shabby.

I'll not stay for another hurricane, no matter how good the cake is. When I get back to The Woodlands, I'll post pictures of the giant tree that now resides upon my roof. And hopefully Entergy is wrong. Hopefully we'll get our power back before October.

My fingers are crossed!

Love to all of you . . . I'll be in touch. Am praying for each of you, for safe trips back to your hopefully fully-functioning homes.

Amanda

1 comment:

 
Blog Templates By Penny Lane Designs